Monday, January 14, 2013

DIY Fascinator

 
     It's taken me a little while with the holidays to get this one posted.  My lia sophia managers planned a wonderful vintage themed Christmas Party for us at an adorable little restaurant nearby.  We were all asked to wear some type of head piece.  Fancy hats, headbands, fascinators, etc.  We could buy or make them, and of course I chose to make mine.  It turned out to be a pretty easy project.  I did a little research first through Google images so that I could get a pretty clear idea of what I liked, then I head out to Hobby Lobby to pick up whatever materials I thought would look pretty and match my dress.
     I choose to anchor my fascinator to a headband so that it would be really easy to take it on and off.  It would be pretty easy to add on a cute little birdcage veil to go with it as well.  I ended up not having enough time to do this to mine.

     I purchased some pre-made ribbon flowers, although you could easily make your own, some loose feathers and a pretty brooch.  And by hand I sewed each piece together in layers until I had built up the look I wanted.  Sewing was the most time-consuming part of this project.  I had totally planned to just use my glue gun to attach everything, but when it came down to it I couldn't find any of my glue, go figure.  But as it turned out I do think that sewing made the headpiece much more durable overall.  I did not permanently attach it to the headband though.  I secured it using a couple of stick pins, which worked out perfectly and gives me the freedom to use the headband for other things as well or to just wear alone. 

     Here is my finished result, again this is one of those things that is only limited by your own imagination!


    

No comments:

Post a Comment