Tuesday, November 20, 2012

More Cheap and Easy Holiday Decor

     Is it really that time of year again?  Well, I can't complain because Christmas has always been my favorite time of year, and also my favorite time to decorate too!  Thanksgiving is just a couple of days away and I always put my Christmas decor out the day after.  That's right, no shopping for me!!  I'd much rather be in my warm cozy home listening to Christmas music and hanging garland!
     I've already thrown a couple of things together to add to my collection of indoor holiday decor.  They really don't come much easier then this.  First is a simple Christmas tree.  Here's what you need:
  • Styrofoam floral cone - choose whichever size you want for your tree.  Just remember finished size is quite a bit bigger then the cone. Mine is medium.
  • Floral Picks - best time to get these is when they are 50% of at Hobby Lobby (so now)!
  • An ornament or two, or a star for the top.
Here's Mine:
 
 

     Now the overall look of this tree can be whatever you want it to be.  I think I spent over an hour at Hobby Lobby choosing the floral picks I wanted to use to make this.  But overall making it is really, really simple. All you do is press the picks through the cone covering the whole thing.  Start at the bottom.  I didn't need any glue, it was secure without.  After you have covered the tree with floral, then you can embelish it with some ornaments.  I used a bird and a butterfly for mine.  You could top the tree with a more traditional angel or star.  Depending on the type of picks you use you could even hang small ornaments from it.  Your options are pretty endless. 

     I think I mentioned last year that I absolutely love those styrofoam cones for making Christmas trees.  Last year I covered them in glitter.  You can see how I made those in last year's post for Cheap and Easy Holiday Decor.

     Next up is a gift wreath.  This was the perfect thing to use up some of the lia sophia boxes I have taking over all my closets.  I knew I was keeping them for a reason!  Again, this was a really easy project.  The most tedious part of the whole thing was wrapping all the boxes.  I chose a set of wrapping papers that came together and coordinated, wrapped half of the boxes in each.  Then set out how I would arrange them and only tied little bows around the ones that would be on the top.  Pulled out my glue gun, glued them all together and finished the whole thing with some ribbon and a couple of ornaments I found at Wal-Mart.  One of the ornaments are these lovely little jingle bells.  Since this wreath will be hanging on my panty door, it will serve double duty to warn me when my little rugrats are trying to sneak into the goodies inside!  Doesn't get much better then that, decor that is pretty and functional!  All in all I believe this little project ran about $10!



     Don't have a bunch of little boxes lying around?  Well, I'd be more then happy to help you with that!  Have I mentioned how much fun lia sophia parties are?  And I'm sure that you would earn enough in free jewelry to aquire more then enough boxes to make one of these wreaths!  Plus check off all the ladies on your Christmas list in just one evening in!  Christmas cookie exchange, anyone?


No comments:

Post a Comment